KFD SAFETY TIPS: Know your household’s harmful substances

Posted

A weekly article that will offer information concerning the Kilgore Fire Department and provide safety tips for home and family.

The potentially harmful substances used daily in homes usually have one or more of the following characteristics:

• Corrosive - they eat or wear away at many materials.

• Flammable - they easily ignite.

• Reactive - they can cause an explosion or produce deadly vapors.

• Toxic - they are poinonous to humans and animals.

Some examples of hazardous wastes found around the home include antifreeze, batteries, brake fluid, chemical strippers, chlorine bleach, contact cement, drain cleaners, insecticides, lawn chemicals, nail polish remover, spot removers, toilet and oven cleaners and used motor oil.

Most households, garages and storage sheds have liquids and solids stored that are considered poisons. A number of standard household cleaning products that we use on a daily basis can be poisonous, so be cautious. It is recommended that before applying pesticides or other household chemicals, remove children and their toys, as well as pets, from the area. Keep children and pets away until the pesticide has dried or as long as is recommended on the label.

During a Household

Chemical Emergency

Get out of the residence immediately if there is a danger of fire or explosion.

• Stay upwind and away from the residence to avoid breathing toxic fumes.

• Recognize and respond to symptoms of toxic poisoning that include:

o Difficulty breathing

o Irritation of the eyes, skin,

throat, or respiratory tract

o Changes in skin color

o Headache or blurred vision

o Dizziness, clumsiness or

lack of coordination

o Cramps or diarrhea

• If someone is experiencing toxic poisoning symptoms or has been exposed to a household chemical, call the poison control center at (800) 222-1222. Find any containers of the substance that are readily available so that you can provide any requested information.

• Follow the emergency operator or dispatcher’s first aid instructions carefully.

Stay S.A.F.F.E.,

Comments

Special Sections